Friday, August 20, 2004

John Kerry comes to Charlotte


Charlotte welcomes Mr. Kerry

Here's how it all came to pass...

Yesterday I heard that tickets to the event could be got by going to so-and-so URL. I signed up, only to get a response that one needed to call instead. When I did that, all I got was a busy signal.

A few hours later, I heard it was sold out. So instead, I did other mundane things, had some conversations, composed some hypermusic, and went to sleep in what is called "a bed". Before long, my soul had detached from its mortal coil, and I was free to dream.

In short order, the alarm rang, which is a rare occurence around this decidedly leisure-infested domicile, and I eventually dragged myself from the ether, poured myself back into my body, and raised myself to an upright position. As usual, I turned on the computer and NPR.

Before long, Darryl called and told me that the Kerry speech was being covered by WBT Radio. Darryl is a very bright gentleman who wants to change the world by changing the way the world does energy. I am hoping he heard the speech, as Mister Kerry talked about doing the same kind of thing, and would probably be more useful in helping him launch his vision.

Before long, I had cafiennated myself to the point where I could, if desired, go out into the universe beyond my door. So boldly, I did. But to little avail, except for parking quite a few blocks away from the venue to which I wanted to attend...namely proximitous rallies and such.

Only one was to make itself known, and it was at a corner of Memorial Stadium, adjacent to Central Piedmont Community College, or UCLA.

There, I saw people holding various, even competing, signs. And I heard some ladies cacking about Kerry's war record, derisively...so I could not prevent myself from walking up and asking those nearby: "Could you tell me where the White Deserters for Bush Contingent is located?"

A few Dems pointed at the Bushford Wives.

A very nice young man, who looked remarkably like Josh Groban, and I talked about a variety of topics, and he told me of his band, The Alleys (see below), and there was general merriment among all those on our small corner of the globe. Of the 15 odd folks that appeared there, one was a woman carrying a Kerry sign, and several firemen carrying Bush signs. "Hey you were the guys who put the fire out at my house!", the woman said, as she recognized the firemen.

"When it comes to work, politics doesn't matter", one of the firemen said, exemplifying what is best about government work.

There was even a woman breast-feeding her child, but I'll not talk about that.

Before too long, a parade of cops on motorcycles began pouring from around the stadium and past where we sat and stood, followed by black SUVs and Press buses. From one of the SUVs, John Kerry waved his fond farewell, and we bid adieu and disbanded.

Not a bad morning. Not a bad morning at all.