Friday, January 17, 2003

WISDOM


From generation to generation, passing into holy souls,
wisdom maketh men friends of God and prophets.

- The Wisdom of Solomon (Apocrypha)



I was discussing education with my friend, Darryl, who, as a 30-somethinger, is going back to school. University, thankfully.
And I suppose it was this fact which gave rise to the question of education.

Being a great fan of what is called "wisdom literature", as well as philosophy in general...I said that I thought the getting of wisdom was of paramount concern. But he doubted that one could quantify the getting of wisdom.

I then said that it was then imperative that we get rid of this model which sanctifies quantifiability yet dismisses wisdom.

Anyway...the quote above is one good reason, among a multitude, for getting wisdom. To have such friends as God and the prophets!

May we reflect well on our friends. And vice versa.