Friday, August 22, 2003

Wesley Clark puts little Tommy Delay in his place...

Wesley Clark puts little Tommy Delay in his place...

EXCERPT:

"Blitzer played for Clark a videotape of DeLay's criticism of the general's regular paid commentary on the Iraqi war for CNN, which has now been discontinued, by the way.

DeLay said, "Frankly, what irritates me the most are these blow-dried Napoleons that come on television and, in some cases, have their own agendas. Gen. Clark is one of them that is running for president. Yet he's paid to be an expert on your network. And he's questioning the plan and raising doubts as he becomes this expert. I think they would serve the nation better if they would just comment on what they see and what they know, rather than putting their own agenda forward as an expert."

This is how Clark responded: "Well, first of all, I'd be happy to compare my hair with Tom DeLay's. We'll see who's got the blow-dried hair. But beyond that, Wolf, he's got it exactly backward. It's upside down. I am saying what I believe. And I'm being drawn into the political process because of what I believe and what I've said about it. So it's precisely the opposite of a man like Tom DeLay, who is only motivated by politics and says whatever he needs to say to get the political purpose. And so, you know, it couldn't be more diametrically opposed, and I couldn't be more opposed than I am to Tom DeLay.

"You know, Wolf, when our airmen were flying over Kosovo, Tom DeLay led the House Republicans to vote not to support their activities, when American troops were in combat. To me, that's a real indicator of a man who is motivated not by patriotism or support for the troops, but for partisan political purposes."
"