Saturday, February 11, 2006

Peace of the Orchard

I finally sat down to watch Cider House Rules last night (which, by the way, is a great story and movie) when onto the screen strutted my little sister. Well, someone who looked a whole lot like my little sister, only many years ago. She was sticking out her tongue at Tobey McGuire. (The actress, not my sister.)

As I watched, and thought about my dear sister, I began to think about my father's sister, whose light is sadly fading. And I remembered how tenderly she and father discussed the deaths of shared friends. I fear such tenderness is a dying art, as the world spirals into increasing meanness and war. I will miss basking in the light of these exemplars of our greatest generation.
After watching "Cider House", I did some research on the actress who so resembled my own sister, and soon found her name: Paz de la Huerta..."Peace of the Orchard".
May there indeed be peace in the orchard of the world, sisters. And may the light in which we have long basked, shine through us, the next generation.


Paz de la Huerta

My grandmother, shown here, looks astonishingly like my sister.